We know that rising healthcare costs can make paying for health insurance challenging. That’s why we’re bringing you AccessBlue*. This Blue Cross program helps qualifying individuals and families pay for their health coverage.
If you qualify, AccessBlue will pay a portion of your monthly bill as shown on the chart below.
BlueSolutions for HSA Direct
VantageBlue SelectRI Direct
Are You Eligible?
If you think you may qualify, download the application and our flyer. If you are not a current member, you must also apply for one of our health plans for individuals and families.
You qualify for AccessBlue if:
- You enroll with BCBSRI directly in BasicBlue Direct or a Silver or Bronze plan.
- You are a Rhode Island resident.
- Your gross annual household income (as filed on your federal income taxes) is not more than 450 percent of the federal poverty level. (See the “Find out if your income qualifies” FAQ below.”)
You do not qualify for AccessBlue if:
- You are eligible to receive a federal tax credit through HealthSource RI. Check your eligibility by using the HealthSourceRI calculator.
- You are eligible for coverage under Medicare, TriCare, or other federal programs.
- You are eligible for coverage under RIte Care or other state programs.
- You are eligible for group coverage offered by your employer or your spouse’s employer or similar coverage (unless you are a self-employed individual).
FAQs on AccessBlue
How do I know if my income qualifies?
To find out if your income meets our guidelines, please visit the Department of Health & Human Services
. On the federal poverty guidelines chart, choose your family size, then multiply the corresponding income guideline by 4.5 (which is equal to 450 percent).
What is gross household income?
It is the total income earned by all household members before tax deductions are made. This includes earnings, unemployment compensation, Social Security, retirement income, interest, dividends, and income from other sources. As part of the application, you must provide your most recent federal income tax forms. You can submit the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ.
Important note: When applying for AccessBlue, be sure to include tax documentation for all household members, regardless of whether or not they are enrolled in your BCBSRI health plan.
What plans qualify for AccessBlue?
You can take advantage of AccessBlue if you meet the eligibility guidelines and are a member of BlueSolutions for HSA Direct, VantageBlue Direct, VantageBlue SelectRI Direct, or BasicBlue Direct. You receive different dollar amounts depending on the plan you choose.