Diabetes Management Program
If you’re living with diabetes, you know it can be a real challenge—and can increase your risk of vision problems, kidney disease, and heart failure if not properly treated. There’s good news.
When you participate in the Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) - Lifespan Diabetes Management Program, you’ll learn more about how to manage your condition and take active steps toward living a healthier life. There’s no cost, it’s available on your schedule, and it’s completely customized to your needs and goals.
Plus, when you complete all program requirements within the year, you’ll receive a $400 reward.*
Here’s how the program works
The BCBSRI - Lifespan Diabetes Management Program is designed to provide the tools and support you need to help manage your condition with confidence.
- Beginning with a comprehensive health assessment, a team of specialists— including nurses, dietitians, certified diabetes educators, and behavioral health experts—will create a personalized care plan for you.
- Then, you’ll work one-on-one with your care manager to learn about medication, nutrition, lifestyle choices, and the importance of keeping up with recommended tests and screenings.
- If extra support is needed, your care manager will provide the necessary resources and referrals.
Complete these interventions and you're on your way to your $400 reward
The program includes four components, called interventions. You must complete the required interventions and your screenings to earn the $400 reward. To get the full benefit of the program, we strongly recommend completing the optional interventions as well.
Intervention one - Coaching
Telephonic coaching (required)
Once you have completed your required health assessment, your care team will:
- Develop a customized care plan
- Provide diabetes education
- Monitor recommended tests
- Coordinate appropriate additional care and resources
Intervention two - Messages
Digital messaging (required)
Through email and/or text messaging, you’ll learn about:
- Diabetes self-management
- How to recognize and manage your symptoms
- Lifestyle habits, such as exercise, food choices, and stress management
- Available helpful resources
Intervention three - Classes
Education classes (optional, but recommended)
Held at Lifespan or BCBSRI Your Blue Store℠ locations, classes include:
- Informative lectures by registered nurses, diabetes instructors, pharmacists, and guest experts
- Educational materials, demonstrations, and applicable screenings
Intervention four - Meter Upgrade
Meter Upgrade Opportunity (optional, but recommended)
Your glucometer plays a key role in managing your diabetes. Through the BCBSRI - Lifespan Diabetes Management Program, you’ll have the opportunity to upgrade to the new Lifescan OneTouch Reveal®, a state-of-the-art, Bluetooth-enabled meter at no cost to you. This meter lets you monitor:
- Blood glucose results
- Dietary intake
- Physical activity
Your care manager can order your Lifescan OneTouch Reveal® meter for home delivery. Call the Lifespan Employee CARE Center at (401) 429-2102 or 1-866-987-3706 to learn more.
Now, here's how you can receive a $400 reward
Participate in the program, meet all the guidelines listed below within the year, and you’ll be eligible for the reward.*
- Enroll in telephonic coaching
- Complete an assessment
- Complete at least one goal
- Agree to periodic follow-up calls (as needed)
- Stay up-to-date with all recommended diabetes screenings
You are invited to join the BCBSRI-Lifespan Diabetes Management Program
The program takes effect after January 1, 2020, and there are three ways to join:
- Call the Lifespan Employee CARE Center at (401) 429-2102 or 1-866-987-3706.
- If you participated in a prior diabetes management program with Tufts Health Plan, the BCBSRI care management team will contact you regarding this program.
- If you have other clinical issues and have been referred to care management for assistance, your team may suggest participation in this program.
Please note: The BCBSRI-Lifespan Diabetes Management Program is designed for adults age 16 and older. If you have a child with juvenile diabetes or if you have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, contact the Lifespan Employee CARE Center at (401) 429-2102 or 1-866-987-3706 to speak with BCBSRI care management.
*The $400 reward payment is available for active employees and their eligible dependents. COBRA participants, retirees, and their dependents are not eligible for this payment. The $400 payment will be included in the paycheck of the active Lifespan employee who is also the Lifespan Health Plan subscriber. Please note, all rewards are subject to any applicable income taxes. One-time payment for program participants who meet all requirements. This program is offered annually so you may be eligible each year.