Oct 15, 2019
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island offers 2020 Medicare Advantage plans with many no-cost options
PROVIDENCE, RI – Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) is bringing the value of $0 to Medicare-eligible adults across Rhode Island through innovative Medicare Advantage plans designed to make their lives easier, keep them active and help them stay independent.
“We listened to our customers, took their feedback to heart, and have introduced Medicare Advantage plans meant to make their lives easier by putting more money in their pockets and more ‘health’ in their health plan,” said Melissa Cummings, executive vice president and chief customer officer at BCBSRI. “What this means for our Medicare customers is that they will get a wide range of benefits at absolutely no cost. We are also introducing new benefits that our Medicare members have been asking for, like acupuncture visits and a robust annual wellness reimbursement.”
The enhanced BlueCHiP for Medicare Value (HMO-POS) plan delivers maximum savings by making a number of benefits available at no cost to them. These benefits include:
- $0 monthly premium
- $0 primary care provider visits at patient-centered medical homes (PCMHs)
- $0 labs and X-rays
- $0 prescription drug deductible
- $0 generic drugs in tiers 1 & 2
- $0 rides to the doctor
Also new for 2020 is the HealthMate for Medicare (PPO) plan, which offers a wide national network with no referral requirements, an open pharmacy network, a $2,000 dental benefit including crowns, and flat dollar copays for in- and out-of-network benefits.
BlueCHiP for Medicare Value and HealthMate for Medicare also offer benefits designed to help support wellness goals, including:
- A wellness reimbursement that is doubled to $200 a year – This benefit can be used toward a favorite healthy activity or device, like fitness classes, dance classes, weight-loss programs, golf, sneakers, an Apple Watch and more.
- A fitness tracker – A no-cost Max Buzz™ activity monitoring device offers real-time information. This can be paired with the Virgin Pulse® wellness program to increase physical activity.
- Acupuncture – This new benefit allows members to pay just $20/visit for up to 12 visits per year.
In addition, a number of benefits have been added or enhanced for all BCBSRI Medicare Advantage plans, including:
- Dental coverage – Quality dental coverage is included in most plans, including 90 percent of Rhode Island dentists in the BCBSRI network.
- CVS Pharmacy® over-the-counter (OTC) benefit – Between $25 and $200 per quarter (depending on the plan) to use on health-related items at CVS online, by phone or at 23 different Rhode Island locations.
- $0 mail order drugs – A $0 copay for a 90-day supply of many generic drugs in Tiers 1 & 2 delivered to members’ doors. Excludes medical-only plans.
- Hearing – No cost routine office hearing visits and up to two hearing aids for as low as a $200 copay per ear, plus a three-year supply of batteries, and a hearing aid fitting and evaluation.
- Allowance for glasses and vision hardware – No cost routine office vision visits and a $100-$200 allowance (depending on the plan) if you need glasses or vision hardware.
- $0 national gym benefit - BCBSRI customers receive a $0 national gym benefit with more than 14,000 fitness centers across the country.
- Rides to doctors’ visits – Up to 24 one-way trips to make it easy to visit a primary care provider (PCP) or specialist.
There are a number of ways Rhode Islanders can learn more about BCBSRI’s Medicare Advantage offerings for 2020. They can:
- Attend an information meeting: For Medicare-eligible older adults looking for more information, BCBSRI is hosting meetings about its Medicare options across the state throughout the months of October, November, and December. To find a convenient meeting date and time, please visit bcbsri.com/medicareevents.
- Visit a Your Blue Store℠ location:
- Cowesett Corners, 300 Quaker Lane, Warwick
- Highland Commons, 71 Highland Avenue, East Providence
- Lincoln Mall Shopping Center, 622 George Washington Highway, Lincoln
- *NEW* Marshalls Plaza, 1400 Oaklawn Avenue, Cranston (open during AEP only)
All four locations provide Rhode Islanders with an unmatched way to interact with their health plan whether they have health plan benefit questions, need help finding a doctor, want to take free fitness classes, or talk to a BCBSRI nurse about ways to save on medications. For more information about BCBSRI retail locations, including extended hours during the Medicare Annual Election Period (AEP), visit bcbsri.com/yourbluestore.
- Call BCBSRI’s Medicare Sales team: You can call 1-800-505-2583 (TTY: 711.) From October 1 through March 31, the hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. From April 1 to September 30, the hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Read The Rhode Ahead: The Rhode Ahead for Medicare members features a variety of content relevant to BCBSRI Medicare Advantage plans.
- Visit BCBSRI Medicare website: www.bcbsri.com/medicare.
During AEP, between October 15 and December 7, 2019, eligible adults can enroll or make changes to their Medicare plan, which goes into effect on January 1, 2020.
You must continue to pay your Part B premium. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island is an HMO and PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island depends on contract renewal.