Additional CPT and HCPCS Level II code changes
We have completed our review of the additional CPT and HCPCS code changes effective April 1, 2020, and these updates will be added to our claims processing system. The lists include codes that have special coverage or payment rules for standard products. (Some employers may customize their benefits.) We have included codes for services that are:
- “Not Covered” – This includes services not covered in the main member certificate (e.g., covered as a prescription drug).
- “Not Medically Necessary” – This indicates services where there is insufficient evidence to support.
- “Not Separately Reimbursed” – Services that are not separately reimbursed are generally included in payment for another service or are reported using another code and may not be billed to your patient.
- “Subject to Medical Review” – Preauthorization is recommended for commercial products and required for BlueCHiP for Medicare.
- “Invalid” – Use alternate procedure codes, such as a CPT or HCPCS code.
- “Medicare Lab Network” – Codes that are reimbursed to a hospital laboratory outside of the laboratory network, physicians, or urgent care center providers for BlueCHiP for Medicare.
- “Pending CMS determination” – For BlueCHiP for Medicare Category III codes.
Please submit your comments and concerns regarding coverage and payment designations to:
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island
Attention: Medical Policy, CPT Review
500 Exchange Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Please note that as a participating provider, it is your responsibility to notify members about non-covered services prior to rendering them.
CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
April 2020 CPT code updates
The following codes are not covered for professional and institutional providers for BlueCHiP for Medicare and commercial products:
0163U 0164U 0165U 0166U 0167U 0168U 0169U 0170U 0171U