BCBSRI’s 2023 Medicare Advantage plans offer comprehensive benefits for Rhode Islanders
BCBSRI’s Medicare Advantage plans are the highest rated in Rhode Island– we recently received the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS’) highest Star rating possible – 5 out of 5 Stars – for our 2023 Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO plans.
BCBSRI has enhanced our 2023 Medicare Advantage plans by making them even more comprehensive, convenient, and affordable, with coverage that meets a myriad of needs, including dental and vision. BCBSRI is also addressing social determinants of health – factors that affect our health, but which fall outside traditional medical services – through benefits related to food, fitness, transportation, and household help.
For 2023, BCBSRI’s Medicare Advantage plans include:
- BlueCHiP for Medicare Value (HMO-POS) – Ideally suited for those looking to save money with a $0 premium and many no-cost benefits, including $0 primary care visits, labs, X-rays, and generic drugs, and no pharmacy deductible. This plan also has standard coverage for dental, hearing, and vision exams and hardware, including a $200 per year Flexible Benefit Card to pay for dental, hearing, and vision out-of-pocket expenses (like copays), plus $60 a quarter for over-the-counter (OTC) health items.
- HealthMate for Medicare (PPO) – Offers a wide national network and freedom to choose doctors, plus no referrals, gap coverage for Tier 1 and 2 prescription drugs, a $4,250 combined out-of-pocket maximum, flat-dollar copay for in-and out-of-network benefits (on most services), and a $2,000 dental benefit (including crowns). It also includes a $300 per year Flexible Benefit Card to pay for dental, hearing and vision expenses, plus $75 a quarter for OTC health items.
Both plans come with an insulin savings program featuring a $20 copay for 30-day supply (the lowest in Rhode Island), $0 national gym benefit and up to a $150 wellness reimbursement, $15 copays for acupuncture visits, and up to $50 per year for caregiver assistance.
BCBSRI is also offering the following plan for those who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid:
BlueRI for Duals (HMO-DSNP): An affordable $0 plan that comes with up to $17,000 per year in extra benefits, including $3,000 dental benefit (dentures and implants), $0 hearing aids and vision exams, a Flexible Benefit Card with $1,500 per year for dental, vision and hearing services, and $300 a year for glasses and contacts. Those who qualify for Extra Help can get all their Part D prescription drugs for $0 plus $150 per month for OTC and groceries, with an expansive retail network to shop from in addition to a unique grocery delivery program. The plan features a care model customized to meet individual needs and is unique in Rhode Island for providing access to a Medicaid specialist to assist with renewal. Other benefits include wellness reimbursement, rides to doctors, and meal deliveries.
No matter which plan members are in, they’ll enjoy hours of support with household chores and companionship through a program that deploys trained helpers to assist with everything from changing light bulbs, to connecting Wi-Fi, to running errands, raking, and more.
BCBSRI Medicare Advantage members satisfied with their plans do not have to take any action to be automatically re-enrolled in the same plan for 2023.
Rhode Islanders can learn more about BCBSRI’s Medicare Advantage plans for 2023 through the following:
- Go to bcbsri.com/Medicare
- Attend a virtual or in-person informational meeting by scheduling an appointment or registering at bcbsri.com/events/Medicare
- Visit one of our four Your Blue Store℠ locations:
- Cowesett Corners, 300 Quaker Lane, Warwick
- Highland Commons, 71 Highland Avenue, East Providence
- Lincoln Commons, 622 George Washington Highway, Lincoln
- Marshalls Plaza, 1400 Oaklawn Avenue, Cranston
- BCBSRI members may call the Medicare Concierge team at (401) 277-2958 or 1-800-267-0439 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
- Non-members may call the Medicare Sales team at 1-800-505-2583 (TTY: 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
You must continue to pay your Part B premium. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island is an HMO and PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island depends on contract renewal.
Every year, Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-Star rating system. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island is an HMO and PPO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island depends on contract renewal.
One in four Rhode Islanders are eligible for Medicare and for the second consecutive year, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island is the only insurer in the state to receive the federal government’s highest rating for all its Medicare Advantage plans.