Oct 21, 2019
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island awards three Rhode Island senior centers grants of $2,500 each for winning the first Step Up Challenge
PROVIDENCE, RI – Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) motivated older adults to log steps and physical activity in September in support of senior centers across the state – all part of BCBSRI’s first-ever Step Up Challenge. The friendly competition not only helped participants maintain or increase their own physical activity, but also helped three senior centers – one from each of three regions in the state – earn a $2,500 grant for health and wellness activities.
Throughout the month of September, participating senior centers tracked a total of 141,780,081 steps. The winners of the Step Up Challenge were recognized on October 19 at the Life Expo at Twin River in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Each was presented with a $2,500 check.
- Northern Winner: North Providence Mancini Center with 8,773 average steps* and 2,763,450 total steps.
- East Bay Winner: Benjamin Church Senior Center with 8,538 average steps and 9,468,402 total steps.
- Southern Winner: Cranston Senior Center with 7,432 average steps and 4,763,804 total steps.
“We are thrilled with how many older Rhode Islanders participated in our first-ever Step Up Challenge and for the support they showed to senior centers around the state,” said Ivette Luna, manager, Consumer Engagement at BCBSRI. “Helping older adults maintain their health and wellness is a priority for BCBSRI and events like the Step Up Challenge reinforce our vision of passionately leading a state of health and well-being in Rhode Island.”
In addition to the first place winners, runner-ups in each region will receive one month of fitness programming sponsored by BCBSRI. These senior centers include:
- Northern Second Place Winner: Cumberland Senior Center with 8,633 average steps and 1,933,848 total steps.
- East Bay Second Place Winner: Portsmouth Senior Center with 8,262 average steps and 4,064,924 total steps.
- Southern Second Place Winner: Coventry Senior Center with 7,144 average steps and 6,093,928 total steps.
The Step Up Challenge began on September 1 with kick-off walks in Warwick, Bristol and Lincoln. In all, 20 senior centers participated in the challenge. In addition, participants who were not members of a senior center could also register as part of a team for three of the BCBSRI Your Blue Store locations. More than 1,300 people registered for the Step Up Challenge.
*Winning senior centers were chosen based on the highest average steps over the four-week challenge period.